Liposuction is the technique of removal of excess body fat by suction using special surgical equipment. Typically a plastic surgeon does the surgery.
It is a type of plastic surgery. It removes unwanted excess fat to improve body appearance and to smooth irregular body shapes. It sometimes called body contouring.
Liposuction may be useful for contouring under the chin, neck, cheeks, arms, breasts, abdomen, buttocks, hips calves, , knees thighs, , and ankle areas.
TYPES OF LIPOSUCTION PROCEDURES
Tumescent liposuction, Super-wet technique, Ultrasound-assisted liposuction and Laser-assisted liposuction (LAL)
The most used techniques are Ultrasound-assisted liposuction and Laser-assisted liposuction
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction is ultrasonic vibrations which turn fat cells into liquid. And later on, the cells can be sucked (vacuumed) out using special emitter above the surface of the skin or internal with a small, heated cannula below the surface of the skin. This technique may help remove fat from dense, fiber-filled areas of the body like the upper back or male breast tissue. UAL is often used with the tumescent technique, in follow-up (secondary) procedures, or for greater precision.
- Laser-assisted liposuction (LAL). It uses laser energy to liquefy fat cells. They can be vacuumed out or allowed to drain out via small tubes After the cells are liquefied. One of the advantages of LAL over other liposuction techniques is that energy from the laser stimulates collagen production. This helps in prevent skin sagging after liposuction. Collagen is the fiber-like protein that helps maintain skin structure.
HOW THE PROCEDURE IS DONE
- A liposuction machine and special instruments are used for this surgery.
- The surgical team prepares the areas of your body that will be treated.
- The patient will receive either local or general anesthesia.
- Through a small skin incision, a tube with a sharp end is inserted into the fat pockets under skin and swept through the area where fat is to be sucked.
- The excess fat is vacuumed away through the suction tube
- Several skin punctures/ small incisions may be needed to treat large areas. The surgeon may needs to approach the areas from different directions to get the best contour.
- After the fat is removed, small drainage tubes may be inserted into the treated areas to remove blood and fluid that collects during the first few days after surgery.
- The patient will wear a compression garment after the surgery as instructed by the surgeon